skilled independent visa

Skilled Independent Visa (189)


This visa uses a points test and allows you to migrate to Australia if you have competent English language and other skills and attributes which will contribute the most to the Australian economy. You do not require sponsorship to apply for this visa.

This visa is for you:

  • If you are under 50 years of age
  • Have competent English language skills
  • Have the skills and qualifications that meet the Australian standard for an occupation on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL). The SOL is a list of skilled occupations of high value to the Australian labour market.
  • This visa allows you and any secondary applicants included in your visa application to live as permanent residents in Australia.

Australian permanent residents can:

  • live and work in Australia on a permanent basis
  • Study in Australia at school, Vocational Education and Training (VET) sector or university
  • Receive subsidised healthcare through Medicare and the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS)
  • Access certain social security payments (subject to waiting periods)
  • Be eligible for Australian citizenship (subject to the residency eligibility criteria)
  • Sponsor people for permanent residence.